new member

solunvar emperador.pyronis at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 29 07:27:20 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm Konrad, born and raised in Belgium. I'm a native speaker of Dutch, learned how to speak French from the age of onwards, am proficient enough in German to understand others and make a fool out of myself when speaking it enough myself. Started an evening course in Russian a couple of years ago, but had to quit it due to medical reasons. Obviously I speak English as well.

Languages I would one day like to speak are: Old (and Modern) Persian, Gaelic and Gothic. Yeah, I know those are general terms. Of those interests, Gothic is actually the most recent. Never really thought about it much before, then I was trying to find a vowel and consonant palette for an (my) artificial language's phonology and stumbled across this particular group of languages. Finding several examples, I was amazed at the resemblance between Dutch and German in grammatical structure, while still baffling me with that mysterious ƕ (hw) nobody seems to be able to pronounce 100 percent correctly.

My interest in adapting knowledge of Gothic into a modern variant has, for the most part, faded into that shelf in the back of my mind containing all my ambitious ideas. One day that interest will come back to me. In the meantime, soaking up information and knowledge seems the right thing to do.

For the record - I study Applied Informatics (computer stuff), not linguistics. Sometimes I wish I did, but I'm guessing that my genuine interest for the field would disappear if I was bombarded with university levels of monotone course books.