winja

Ingemar Nordgren ingemar at NORDGREN.SE
Sat Mar 28 17:52:45 UTC 2009

Hi,

Could somebody among all you linguistic wizards help me to estimate a nominative of the ack. form 'vinja' f. meaning Grassing place for cattle, Germ. Weide, Sw. -vin, -vene in the end of  place names. Unhappily  enough ack. is the only form in which the word is attested. I think the Pgm form might be wisa and that Germ.Wiese comes from the same word. Evidently it is also connected with AS wynne, desire, longing.

Look forward to an understandable answer without too many lingvistic equilibrances.

Best
Ingemar