Some words

Kevin Behrens becareful_icanseeyourfuture at HOTMAIL.DE
Mon Feb 27 11:28:44 UTC 2012

Hey,
I might dare aswell, that asans is the real word for summer. Asans also means harvest/Ernte etc. Can't it be that Wulfila used it for both terms, summer and harvest? He lived in southern Europe, where the difference between summer/winter and spring/fall isn't always so clear. Maybe he didn't really know how to use the word for summer. And maybe the words für spring and fall didn't get it to the South since they didn't really had these seasons. For summer I would either say "sumars/summars" or "somars/sommars". I am not sure about the o and the double m. The word for fall and harvest could be tricky. It either is cognate with the Proto-Northern-Germanic and dropped the r and the b and turned into something like: "hausts" or it kept the sounds and is "harbists". What would you say?

To: gothic-l at yahoogroups.com
From: ingemar at nordgren.se
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 00:55:03 +0000
Subject: [gothic-l] Re: Some words

      Hi,

I dare say nothing more serious but I can conclude that in Swedish  spring is 'vår' pronounced like the Icelandic 'vor'. Autumn is 'höst' having the same sense as harwest/Herbst - to gather together the harwest was called to 'hösta' in older times. I am as well sceptical to 'asans' and think it should be something like 'sommar´as in other Gmc. languages.

Best

Ingemar

--- In gothic-l at yahoogroups.com, Grsartor at ... wrote:

> Hailai,

 "Asans" is attested for summer, but it translates Greek

> words  that seem to have a sense of "harvest": theros and therismos. I do not

> know  whether for the Greeks the harvest was regarded as part of summer; but

> if so,  perhaps Wulfila would have chosen some other word if he had not been

> influenced  by the language he was translating.

> As for the other seasons, I do not know whether there was much uniformity

> among the Germanic peoples in their names for spring and autumn, since it is

>  said they divided the year into only two seasons, winter and summer. The

> German  Lenz (cognate with English Lent) is said to derive from len(gi)zin,

> from  *langat-tin, which had the meaning "having long days". Icelandic "vor"

> looks  like Latin "ver", but whether they are related I do not know.

> The word German and English share for "autumn" is Herbst/harvest. How this

> is related to Icelandic "haust", if at all, I do not know.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)