Translating Shakespeare

Grsartor at AOL.COM Grsartor at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 25 11:10:27 UTC 2013

I think Anherop10 is on to something with "hvan filu".

Consider Mark 7:36

jah anabauþ im ei mann ni qeþeina. Hwan filu is im anabauþ; mais þamma eis
meridedun.

and he charged them to tell no-one; but the more he charged them, the more
zealously they proclaimed it.

The Greek behind all this is

 hoson...mallon perissoteron...,

which seems to be literally

 how greatly...more excessively...

But to come to the Gothic version: my tentative understanding of the
construction is

Hvan filu...........mais thamma = how greatly.......more by (or because of)
 that

I am supposing that "thamma" is to be understood either as a dative of
difference or as instrumental in sense.

Gerry T.