questions and information about Campbell's Historical Linguistics textbook

Lyle Campbell lyle.campbell at linguistics.utah.edu
Wed Mar 24 20:45:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

I write with some information and questions about my textbook:

Campbell, Lyle. 2004. Historical Linguistics:  an Introduction. (2nd
edition; 1st edition, 1998). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press,
and Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

I had hoped that a new printing could correct several typos, etc.,
but instead a new, third edition has been asked for, to be completed
within the year. Therefore, let me offer a list of the corrections I
am aware of, while I also ask for advise concerning the new edition.
Since a number of the symbols and diacritics in the corrections will
not come out correctly in email, I won't try to send them here in
this message, but will be happy to send a pdf file of the corrections
(where they will be clear) to anyone who might want them. Just send
me a message requesting these at:  lyle.campbell at linguistics.utah.edu.

Some questions about the new edition are:

(1) Are there topics/themes that you believe should be added to the
book? (I plan to add the equivalent of about 1 to 1 1/2 chapters of
new material that I have in mind currently, though I must think it
through in more detail before decisions are made.) (I should mention
that I will do my best to take all suggestions into account, though
conflicting advice, considerations of length, and suitability for an
introduction may be limiting factors.)

(2) Is there anything in the book you believe should be taken out?

(3) Do you know of any other corrections (in addition to those I
already have, in the pdf file that I am happy to send out) that
should be made?  If so, could you please send them to me?

(4) Many have asked for answers/solutions/a key to the exercises. The
current tentative plan for the new edition is to provide sample
answers, published at the end of the book. The question is, do you
think that is a good idea, or do you have other recommendations?
(There does not seem to be any practical way to publish answers so
that they are available only to instructors and not publicly
available to students.)

(5) Do you have any answers of your own that you may have written up
to any of the exercises in the book?, and if so, would you be willing
to share them?
(I currently have sample answers in written form for about 1/3 of the
exercises, which I am willing to share with anyone who would like to
request them.)

Please send replies to me at lyle.campbell at linguistics.utah.edu.

Many thanks in advance,
Lyle Campbell

--

Dr. Lyle Campbell,
Professor of Linguistics, Director, Center for American Indian Languages