l vs. s, sh?

Marie-Lucie Tarpent mltarpent at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 30 13:17:53 UTC 2011

I find these "changes" from /l/ to a variety of sibilants (without a suggestion of intermediate steps) hard to believe.  I don't know the language families in question, let alone the reasons for the reconstruction of */l/ in the specific proto-languages, but could the */l/ be from yet another proto-phoneme, such as a **dental, so that the lateral and the sibilant might have a common ancestor, with the */l/ reconstructed because of its preponderance within the family rather than the phonetic plausibility of *lateral > sibilant?  Even assuming that */l/ is the correct reconstruction, it is one thing to say that /s/ is the reflex of */l/ in language  X, another to say (or imply) that the change has been (directly) */l/ > /s/.

(The Quechua example seems to be of a different type than the other ones, since it involves a palatalized consonant, not the plain /l/).

 marie-lucie tarpent