conditioning of Uto-Aztecan *p in Nahuatl

Brian Joseph bjoseph at ling.ohio-state.edu
Sat Dec 1 16:17:51 UTC 2012

This discussion of an important aspect of historical methodology is all
very interesting, but (without critiquing any of the examples presented
except for the Greek final -n case, on which see below) I would urge
everyone to read the excellent review article by Hans Henrich Hock on
Raimo Anttila's 1972 textbook on historical linguistics; the review was
published in Language in 1976 (volume 52.1, pp. 202-220).  What is
especially important in it is contained in pp. 211-220 as Hock offers a
detailed critique of Anttila's many examples (actually, Hock shows,
putative examples) of grammatically conditioned sound change.  Hock
succeeds in proposing compelling accounts in each case that involve
phonetically conditioned sound change coupled with analogy (or sometimes
other processes of change such as borrowing) that for the most part are
more explanatory than a grammatical conditioning account.  I would suggest
that the same strategy could be employed for the cases brought up in the
past several messages that started with Nathan Hill's query (in this way,
I am solidly with Nathan in not wanting to give up the strongest version
of the Neogrammarian stance on sound change, not without a fight, so to
speak).

As for the Greek, Dr. Karatsareas is correct, as far as his data goes, but
it is very likely that the -n# in the genitive plural is either a
restoration from learned Greek (always an issue in dealing with Greek) or
else restored as a sandhi variant (e.g. if originally preserved before
vowels and lost before (certain) consonants).  I base this on the fact
that 19th century sources, especially Albert Thumb's Handbook of the
Modern Greek
Vernacular, originally published in German in the 1890s but known widely
in its 1912 English translation), give the genitive plural regularly as
being in -o (<-ω>, i.e. Greek omega) or -one (<-ωνε>); the -o variant
suggests loss of -n#, and the -one variant suggests the accretion of an -e
from a following word (a sort of resegmentation), though, as I mentioned,
restoration from the learned language, essentially borrowing from a
diglossically higher register perhaps even mediated by the orthography (in
which case it could be viewed as borrowing from the written language)
cannot be dismissed easily in the Greek sociolinguistic context.

As I see it, what is at stake in allowing nonphonetic conditioning of
sound change is that with only phonetic conditioning we have a basis for
understanding how sound change can get started, how it originates (the
point of actuation, some might call it) whereas -- following Hock -- if we
give up phonetic conditioning, we have no explanatory basis for the
actuation.  And letting in grammatical conditioning in even one case (as
Nathan seems to realize) would mean that there would never be a case in
which we could rule it out; it would always be an unexplanatory
possibility for the starting point of a sound change.  If anyone is
interested, I lay these issues out more fully in my 1999 paper
"Utterance-Finality: Framing the Issues", in B. Palek, O. Fujimura, &. B.
Joseph (eds.) Proceedings of LP ‘98 (4th Linguistics and Phonetics
Conference). Prague: Charles University Press (1999), Vol. 2: 3-13
(downloadable as #138 from the publication list on my website,
www.ling.osu.edu/~bjoseph).

So count me as a strict Neogrammarian, a badge I am proud to wear!

--Brian

Brian D. Joseph
The Ohio State University