relic areas

Nathan Hill nathanwhill at gmail.com
Fri Mar 15 13:30:08 UTC 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I have just been reading something that cites Nichols (1992, 1997) for
discussion of “spread zones” and “residual zones”. The handbooks
(Hock, Campbell, etc.) all use the term 'relic zone' and I have a
vague memory that the observations that mountainous areas have more
linguistic diversity and more archaisms goes back to an Italian in the
early 20th century, but my efforts to trace the history of 'relic'
zones is not going well. It appears that Nichols herself did not
compare her "residual zones" to "relic zones".

I would be grateful for any bibliographic tips.

Thanks,

--
Dr Nathan W. Hill
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Linguistics