Indn Words for Science

Mia - Main Red Pony miakalish at REDPONY.US
Sun Mar 7 19:23:17 UTC 2004

Hi, Annie.

Nice to hear from you.

I have a theory, based on an observation by J. Peter Denny, in "Cultural Ecology of Mathematics: Ojibway and Inuit Hunters", in Native American Mathematics, Michael P. Closs (Ed). He says, "The dependence of the hunter on wild plants and animals leads to two crucial features in his pattern of living. First of all, he only alters the environment to a small degree and must for the most part adapt to its natural conditions. In contrast to this, agricultural and industrial societiers alter the environment to increasing degrees and strive hard to make the environment fit their needs. The second featurs arises as a consequence of the first. Since the technology needed for a small degree of alteration of the environment is itself restricted, any adult knows the whole repertoire. Consequently, there need be no specialization of occupation . . anyone can kill an animal, butcher it, and cook it; anyone can cut wood and bark from trees, shape them into a canoe, and paddle it."

If we think of this in terms of questions asked and answered, we get a perspective that creates an equality of Societies, at least analytically, rather than the hierarchical structure most people either try to develop or ethnocentrically assume. In the hunter-gatherer groups, primary questions Must be: How can I know/learn about the world around me? How can I get what I need, without destroying what others' need, because these "others" are what sustain me, and if I destroy them, I too will be destroyed.

In agricultural societies, the primary questions become: How can I manage my resources to feed me and my family? and, What are all these interesting, sometimes pleasant, sometimes unpleasant, things that occur when all us humans live together in this close space?

In industrial societies, the questions become: What is it that "I" want? and, How can I totally reconfigure everything around me to conform to the answer to Question 1.

People can come up with other questions, but just looking at these comparative pairs gives you an idea of how the semantics of the language have to be.

Relative to your specific questions, which seem to be to be an effort to relate an understanding of indigenous understands to one of our two Societal types (either agricultural or industrial), I don't think it is appropriate to try to relate in that manner. Since we don't understand the domain of indigenous people In And Of ItSelf. . . we are comparing apples and motorcars when we try to "explain" indigenous understanding in terms of  "some other" understanding.

A parallel would be: Here is your vocabulary: mitochondria, mitosis, amino acid, cell wall, well body, osmosis, diffusion, electrolyte. Please explain a robotically controlled assembly line using only these terms, plus the typical incidentals in English, where "incidentals" are considered prepositions, indefinite articles, and serializing adverbs such as "when", "then", "next". No additional concept terms may be introduced.

"Science" is rather specific, regardless of culture. It is a way of knowing and learning by observing, measuring, predicting, and reproducing. I think that having to understand how Not to modify something is just as disciplined as having to understand how TO modify it. The critical portions of this process are the prediction and reproduction. For example, to make the statement, I think Darryl hates me, made up out of whole cloth, is not predictive, and certainly not reproducible. On the other hand, Feeding my plants makes them grow healthy and big, based on experience and observation, is very "scientific" in the procedural definition of science.

I will end with a cultural joke, intended to provoke thought as much as humor. . .

There's this little Jewish guy named Moishe. He is very religious, reads the Torah, follows the hundreds of rules for living, cleaning, preparing food, keeps the dietary restrictions.

Every night, he prays, Oh G_d, please let me win the lottery. My children are going to college, my synagogue needs money to hire a Cantor, . . . . Every night he prays thus, and every night, G_d listens.

One night, after praying thus for so many years, Moishe says to G_od, "Yahweh, Have I not been a good man? Have I not followed your rules? Have I not loved you to all my limits?"

And G_d, tired of listening to the prayers that come without a method for actualization, says to Moishe: "Moishe, Moishe! Help me out here! Buy a ticket!"

Mia