John Bransford?

MiaKalish - LFP MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Sep 28 06:10:49 UTC 2004

Hi, Ilse,

I don't have a nice, formal instrument. But now that you mention it, developing one wouldn't be a bad idea. I did my master's thesis on precisely this paradigm. My interface looked different, because it was set up for an experiment, but it has all the same essential elements. So based on the extensive work I did there, here is how I evaluate, pretty much in order of priority:

    1. Is the mode sound-picture-text, presented simultaneously
    2. Can the learner interact with the material at will, studying sound & text patterns
    3. Can the learner use the material without the aid of a teacher, supplementing regular course work
    4. Are the references clear, for example, can the learner tell the difference between what we call a "noun" and an action word ("verb")?
    5. Does the learner have disambiguation exercises? (This is where they train their brains how to discriminate the words in context. Initially, a new language sounds like an unbroken stream. It derives meaning when we can detect the patterns created by the different words and inflections.)
    6. Are the visuals precise enough that the learner can derive an exact meaning. For example, if the visual is a complete place setting, with dinner plate, knife, fork, and spoon, the presented word Should NOT be any of these individual items, because the learner can't yet distinguish and make the correct relation.
    7. Are there training groups and exercises that give the learner additional practice in discriminating words that are similar along visual, tonal, and semantic dimensions?
    8. Is the interface intuitive? It should not get in the way of the learnng process, nor should it be a learning process unto itself.
    9. Is the interface learner-centered, allowing the learner to return to those areas where he or she needs to go (+ points) or does it constrain the learner to a path, direction or mode prescribed by someone or some thing external to the current learning process (BIG - points).
    10. Is the interface English-only (- points) or is it available in the target languages (BIG bonus points). Yours is nice because it gives the learner a choice of a nice collection of interface languages.
    11. Does it make you smile? People study (play, really) more with learning materials that they enjoy.

My regression analysis showed that text was a 2nd order process. What this means is that an additional level/layer of understanding is required to assimilate the text. Since sight and sound are first order, preceptual processes, they don't require the additional assimilation effort, and will show higher, faster response rates than will text.

I thought I had discovered something that needed further research, and then I read Vygotsky, Thought and Language, and he knew this 100 years ago. Saved me endless hours of devising and running another experiment. ;-0

Anyway, these categories are worth more or less 10 points apiece. Unless one is particularly well-done or particularly poorly done, bonus or Penalty points may be awarded.

How did Virginia fare in the lastest onslaught of weather from the south, by the way. Are you all fine and well up there? Still have the beautiful trees and beaches?

best,
Mia