Immersion multimedia for adult Chiricahua language learners

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Dec 28 23:45:34 UTC 2005

Hi, Everyone,

The results of my Master's research was recently published. I am sending
along the abstract because it might be useful for people engaged in
materials design. I will send the materials to anyone who wants to use them
to rerun the experiment, or just to see how they work. You can contact me
for a pdf copy.

Abstract

Study investigated effects of context versus list word presentation, and
moving versus static target presentation in a 2 x 2 between-subjects design
using Athapascan revitalization materials developed in Macromedia FlashR for
adult learning. The within-subjects factor was word type, presented in two
randomized sets of four nouns, adjectives and verbs. Macromedia FlashR was
chosen to simulate immersion learning. Twenty-three Native American adults
from a local reservation and twenty adults from the University engaged 48
words for 15 minutes (average) of self-directed study. Macromedia FlashR
immersion test materials presented 3 target choices for each of 8 text and 8
spoken presentations (graphemic and phonemic association tasks), and 8 words
spoken in context (disambiguation task). Populations were similar enough to
be combined; total percent correct was 77.64% (SD = 12.70%; range =
50-100%). Results indicate that immersion-style, multi-media materials offer
strong support for revitalization efforts, especially where learners
outnumber native speakers.

Citation: New Review of Media and Hypermedia, Vo. 11, No. 2, December, 2005,
181-203

Best,

Mia