An American Indian charter school plans to teach Navajo language (...

Ann Rowe AEROWE at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 26 00:18:32 UTC 2006

I took the reading I took from those statements which I have put in bold text
from the articles.  Those all seemed to indicate that the intention was to
teach Navajo to Navajo children.

I am still interested in learning why the approach seems to be to restrict
the teaching of what are, after all, local area languages only to children of a
specific cultural heritage.  What is the motivation?  What are the goals
related to that kind of restriction?

I realize this may all sound a bit peculiar, now that I stop and think about
it.  My intention is not to offend anyone, so perhaps a little detail on me
might help?

I am working on preparing my prospectus for my Ph.D and it deals with
sovereignty issues among indigenous, native peoples in the territory of the
present-day United States.  As you can imagine - that covers a lot of ground.  But it
has come to be my opinion that, historically, one of the definitive ways that
any sovereign nation defines itself is through its language.  Among native
peoples, this is coming to be more of an issue for all the reasons noted in the
articles that stimulated this discussion.  As a consequence, language
revitalization has become a vital part of the revitalization and sustenance of all
native cultures in the Americas.

I would simply like to find out how people think about restricting or not
restricting training in a language to members of the native population of the
language.  It seems a key point in building any thorough thesis of any sort about
connections between sovereignty and language.

I hope I am making sense.  For example - I would love to know how and why the
choice about Cochiti was made, Mia...how all of the people involved in the
choice felt about the choice.

If I have blundered somehow - please accept my apologies.
Ann