An American Indian charter school plans to teach Navajo language (...

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Wed Apr 26 00:38:59 UTC 2006

Hi, Ann,

I think your questions are fair. The issues are simply complex. It is
probably true that people are teaching Navajo to Navajo children (myself
included, except that I teach mostly adults).

Here, at least in the Southwest and possibly in all areas of the country,
Indigenous peoples are taking control of what’s theirs. There is an enormous
sensitivity to having been ripped off, and people don’t want to spend their
scarce resources teaching language to non-Tribal members. This is a
reasonable way to go, I think. First, there are not many fluent speakers,
comparatively. Second, Indigenous languages have been ignored,
under-appreciated, and colonized, especially by the curricular materials in
schools. Third, Indigenous peoples have different views of sharing their
language and culture. Diné is published; Cochiti is protected. There is no
“general” or stereotypical approach to the language and culture issues. Some
tribes have a broad, technology-based approach, like the Tsalagi (Cherokee),
and some, like the Puebloans, frequently keep what’s theirs to themselves.

Also, there was an enormous battle here in New Mexico to have a place for
Indigenous languages in schools. Tribes had to fight very hard for that, and
now they are fighting to certify their own teachers. The typical educational
requirements for teachers that are enforced to not provide good language and
culture teachers. Tribes have been fighting, and are still working out the
details, for the rights to identify and certify their own teachers.

This is all happening in a complex world where some languages, like Puebloan
languages, are not written. Others, like Diné, have limited font,
spell-check, and grammar checking.

If you want a really good, insider-participant’s view, contact Joseph Suina.
He was at UNM. I heard he retired. But you should be able to find him.

Good luck and don’t hesitate if you have more questions.

Mia

  _____