Linguistic Matls IN the language of study

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Sat Feb 25 18:29:03 UTC 2006

People are always having conferences on uses of technology for Indigenous
languages. Most of them are too far away for me to go  . . . until I get a
faculty position  . . .

But imagine if people didn't have to choose a single sequence. Imagine if
they could have it any way they want . . . by category, pronoun (1, 2, 3,
1s, 2s, 3s), -stem, keyword, source, date. This is all information that is
usually available in English - and the Hopi - dictionary. It's not very hard
to plop it into an Access or MS SQL data base. They both support Indigenous
fonts of the type where the characters are in the effective sort range.

Then people could search. I have a copy of the Carolinian dictionary. It
would be cool to have this, but first, it would have to be scanned . . .
sigh.

But I agree with Sue that we need to talk about this more. Here is a little
passage from a conference paper I did in 2001. . . Gee, I sure haven't
changed much :-)

When faced with a linguistic ontology quite different from that of European
languages, John Peabody Harrington approached the issue apparently
prosaically and without a sense of ideological misunderstandings that would
follow from his mapping. "There are many 'parts of speech'," he says, "each
of which behaves differently, and for which we have in English no
satisfactory nomenclature. Perhaps they may all be reduced to 'nouns,'
'pronouns,' 'verbs,' and 'modifying elements'" (Harrington, 1910). This
normalization results in a loss of the data that would otherwise have
defined the true nature of the Tewa language and simultaneously requires the
"invention" of linguistic structures and rules that are not present in Tewa,
but are essential to establishing the (supposed) integrity of the linguistic
representation  (Kalish, 2001).

  _____