"In", "for", or "with"? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Jan Tucker jtucker at starband.net
Wed Jan 11 19:45:48 UTC 2006

Susan, thanks for responding, I was hoping to hear from community members on
the list regarding this topic. I had a discussion with a web developer and
online educator who did many presentations at the community level regarding
connectivity, and in our discussion he emphasized the desire of communities
to control their own communication networks and educational output.
Sovereignty is the key he said in relation to indigenous knowledge and
learning networks. I wondered how much of the desire for sovereignty in
knowledge sharing might affect any efforts in language and cultural
revitalization by non community members who would like to collaborate or
work "for" or "with" the community? And if there is a barrier to
collaboration due to the desire of the communities to control their
collective knowledge of the language and the sharing of that knowledge. Just
a thought that could affect any efforts by outsiders to help or affect the
direction or focus of outsider support to language revitalization.

Jan