"In", "for", or "with"? (was Re: [ILAT] LSA 2006)

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 11 18:52:36 UTC 2006

Jan,
Of course...these are good points and important to mention. Increasingly ,
communities are choosing to do their own work which is great -- but if they
decide to involve a linguist, then that linguist needs to really think
through the relationship with the community -- on many levels. I actually
agree with Scott -- working 'with' is the current model and a good one -- or
at least an improved one. My personal hope is that communities feel
empowered in terms of choosing or not choosing a linguist and in terms of
being able to outline how a linguist might or might not be of specifi use to
them fro either documentation or revitalization.
Best,
Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English
Affiliate faculty: Department of Linguistics
and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
American Indian Language Development Institute
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836