'In', 'for', or 'with'?

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 16 19:08:07 UTC 2006

While I appreciate all of this discussion, I just want to clarify one thing
related to the 'in', 'with' and 'for' concept -- When I said 'for' -- (and I
add this so that there will be no more polysemy read into it) -- I was
simply trying to say that linguists today (unlike the way I was trained
many, many years ago) need to think of themselve as being in service to the
community (therefore not only working 'with' but also working 'for' and
toward community-based concerns -- as a priority ) --- I know -- there are
still the academic responsibilities we all have to deal with -- but I really
think the mind set -- for training those just going into the field -- is
important to establish and consider. Which is not to say that there aren't
many other considerations (i.e. as we see in Decolonizing Methodologies) as
well.
Best,
Susan

--
Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Department of English
Affiliate faculty: Department of Linguistics
and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program
American Indian Language Development Institute
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836