ANA Congrats - PostScript

Mia Kalish MiaKalish at LEARNINGFORPEOPLE.US
Tue Mar 7 16:42:10 UTC 2006

On that page, you can actually see the materials I used, although they have
been slightly modified for web presentation. Because I was working directly,
rather than downloading, the materials I used a quite large, since sound
files usually are. The Familiarization and Testing are smaller than the
Learning.

  _____

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Mia Kalish
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 9:38 AM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] NA Congrats

Congratulations to the Tribe, André.

I saw your message on best practices yesterday, but I don’t know of any
published material (other than mine) so I was waiting to see what other
people had to say.

I have seen lots of different versions of web presentations, mostly not for
learning, though. The form I used for my master’s research was 78% effective
across populations. In the context of my study that meant that you didn’t
have to have heard any Apache before to get good results. I used
simultaneous presentation of picture, sound, and text, user activated by
moving the mouse over the visual, which was actually a button and responded
to the mouse event.

I have always wanted to test the results between the delayed presentation
that you get with Windows Media Player and the immediate response with
Flash. My intuition tells me that the simultaneity that simulates immersion
will turn out to be better, because you don’t get the cognitive delay you
get with WMP, but of course, only actually setting it up and testing it will
say for sure.

My paper on the topic is available here:
http://learningforpeople.us/Research.htm. You can read the abstract and then
download the pdf if you want.

This is also what Sue Penfield was talking about last week, when she noticed
that we really haven’t talked or published much about what works well for
revitalization as opposed to lexical recording and archiving. Although they
are two very different beasts, people try to use the same composite tool for
both tasks.

I wonder, does anyone know what journals people published revitalization
research in?

Mia

  _____