ipod recording

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 23 14:21:04 UTC 2007

Good point,
This discussion raises a question worth addressing: Even if the purposes of
recording an Indigenous language might not require the best quality
recordings right now, it might matter later. Because of the extreme language
endangerment, taking time to use the best type of recording formats is worth
it ...possibly for someone in the future.  The ultimate source of knowledge
about some of these languages may not be from carefully archived
collections, but from random material collected by individuals (as many of
us now working with language documentation have learned; community folks
often have a rich store of personal language tapes, etc. sitting at home
because someone just wanted to record a relative or friend. As the languages
become seriously endangered, these things come forth and do become part of
the archival record).

I recorded oral history in an Indigenous language almost forty years ago,
not having much of a vision of what that work might be used for today.
Because I was encouraged at the time to use the very best German made
reel-to-reel recording equipment, the data (now being analyzed for
linguistic purposes) is still quite good (considering ...yikes... how long
ago they were done).

Just a thought...

Susan

On 7/22/07, Rosen, Nicole <nicole.rosen at uleth.ca> wrote:

> I've also recorded using the ipod voice memo feature with an external
> Belkin microphone adapter with microphone as well, and it was perfectly
> adequate and very easy, unless of course you want to do serious phonetic
> analysis.  I'm not sure whether the new ipods allow you to do this anymore,
> though - the input doesn't seem to be the same. I'm no ipod expert, however
> - I just know it worked for me for simple recordings with my 2 year old
> ipod.
> Nicole

> Nicole Rosen
> Assistant Professor, Department of Modern Languages
> University of Lethbridge
> 4401 University Drive
> Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada  T1K 3M4
> Office B532, University Hall
> tel. 403.329.5122
> nicole.rosen at uleth.ca
>
> ________________________________

Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.

Associate Director, Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language
and Literacy (CERCLL)
Department of English (Primary)
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
Second Language Acquisition & Teaching Ph.D. Program (SLAT)
Department of Language,Reading and Culture
Department of Linguistics
The Southwest Center (Research)
Phone for messages: (520) 621-1836

"Every language is an old-growth forest of the mind, a watershed of thought,
an ecosystem of spiritual possibilities."

                                                          Wade Davis...(on a
Starbucks cup...)