forum

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Thu Feb 14 20:27:03 UTC 2008

Aloha Mia. I'm not sure what you mean by the glottal needed to be a
real character, you mean treated as a letter and not punctuation or
other symbol? There are several similarly shaped characters in the
Unicode spec. I consulted with the Unicode consortium back in 1998 or
so to determine which was best for our purposes. They suggested and we
use U+02BB, which is 1) treated like a letter and 2) does not allow
hyphenation after it. Since the glottal is considered a consonant in
Hawaiian and we can't hypenate after a consonant that was chosen.

That has caused some issues for us as that character is not common in
a lot of fonts, though is found in those that I posted earlier. When
doing web pages I tend to use a different, identical character to
assure that most viewers will see the glottal properly, but when doing
word processing I use U+02BB, which is the character generated in the
Hawaiian keyboard included with OS X, and with the Win keyboard I
developed for Win users. I believe there is at least one other glottal
character in the unicode spec which is treated as a letter as well,
but forget which one it is off the top of my head.

Nice to hear from you as well. Sending aloha from chilly Dunedin, NZ!

Keola

On 15 Pep. 2008, at 9:12 AM, Mia Kalish wrote:

> It doesn’t work for rising tone, nasalized Athapascan vowels,
> especially the “i”, because you end up with a dot and a high tone
> mark, which is incorrect. It doesn’t work well for the glottal,
> either, because beyond representation, you need to have the glottal
> function as a real character. If you take a shortcut and use the
> apostrophe, Word and sorting algorithms see it as a punctuation
> mark, and represent the word incorrectly.

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.