traditions of assimilation...

Mark Sicoli Mark.Sicoli at MPI.NL
Sat Feb 16 20:49:29 UTC 2008

Thank you Phil, well said.  The nationalist myth is based on a pervasive
ideology where a single language is taken (or given) as the symbol of a
singular identity.  The one language=one nation association goes back to
nation-state building in Europe and the practices of linguistic
unifications, like in Spain, France, and Italy, and other such places
where vernacular languages were ideologically "erased" in the formation of
national unities.  These served as models for nation building in the
Americas and the ideology is real prominent in Mexico where I work, and
where language shifts from indigenous languages to Spanish are currently
occurring at unprecedented rates.  The same basic ideology is at work
equating one language with one individual, which serves to work against
bilingualism and bilingual education, thus facilitating language
abandonment rather than bilingual maintenance.  For these reasons I agree
that this is a worthwhile discussion for this list.

Mark

--
Mark Sicoli Ph.D.
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics