chinook language

Troy Anderson milluk at YAHOO.COM
Tue Sep 22 14:25:01 UTC 2009

Dai s'la,

In the same boat here for a long time with Milluk materials.  I wanted to have my own copy of Coos Texts by Frachtenberg, but unless I borrowed it through two libraries from the Univ. of Michigan or somewhere else, I was out of luck.  Enter Google Books.  I know have my own copy in PDF .  Amazing.  http://books.google.com/books?id=g9NYAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=Coos+texts+Frachtenberg&ei=ANu4Sqq3CYHENbeviNkP#v=onepage&q=&f=false   I know some of you are a bit worried/scared about Google and copyright, as am I as an author, but... for indigenous language research on old out of copyright books, it's been a godsend.  I now have most every hard-to-get book I've ever encountered in my bibliographic research on Kusan languages and beyond.  All free.  All downloadable, etc.  (No, I do not work or get sponsored by Google to say any of this... after you see the results below, you'll know why I'm telling you this)

My bet is that the Chinook resource in question may already be available online.  Looking up Chinook dictionaries, I found the following:

http://books.google.com/books?id=rhsOAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA5&dq=chinook+dictionary&ei=edq4SuHgD4WQNoWDrLYP#v=onepage&q=&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=03sZAAAAMAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=chinook+dictionary&ei=o9u4Suj6F5SCNrOj2MIP#v=onepage&q=&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=-UMSAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=chinook+texts&ei=wtu4SqHbCJ2sNZ6B8dsP#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Looking for Dakota language resources (including the bible text you already own):

http://books.google.com/books?id=vXhEGl6k4cEC&pg=PP14&dq="dakota+language"+riggs&lr=&ei=2Ny4SuSSFYmGNpy_0N0P#v=onepage&q=%22dakota%20language%22%20riggs&f=false
http://books.google.com/books?id=mqoUAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA1&dq="dakota+wowapi+wakan"+riggs&lr=&as_brr=1&ei=m924SqPKMIi0NvTvsM0P#v=onepage&q=%22dakota%20wowapi%20wakan%22%20riggs&f=false

If some of you don't know about this resource, you must.

Tsu tsi wes,

Troy

________________________________
From: Tammy DeCoteau <tdc.aaia at VERIZON.NET>
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2009 5:33:28 AM
Subject: [ILAT] chinook language

Han Mitakuyapi,

Perhaps there is someone in the world of academia who could digitize the dictionary so that all who answered, and those who aren't on this listserv, can use it.

I was fortunate to be notified by Patrick Hall that the entire bible in the Dakotah language is online.  My family owns a copy but it is missing the first 60 pages so I was very grateful for this resource.  It is amazing how much language is in the bible.

Tammy DeCoteau
AAIA Native Language Program