Rosetta Stone Endangered Language Program Releases Navajo Language Software (fwd link)

Keola Donaghy donaghy at HAWAII.EDU
Wed Aug 25 21:46:29 UTC 2010

Mahalo e Mary, I was just about to reply to this myself, but you beat me to it ;-)

The cost and a lack of flexibility in the order in which the lessons are presented were our major concerns and reasons we never did a Hawaiian version.

Rosetta does have a detailed list, brochure and cost estimates that describes the program, anyone interested should contact them directly for it.

Keola

On 2010 ʻAu. 25, at 11:36, Mary Hermes wrote:

> I did look into this, before the endangered language initiative, this is what they charged and how it played out:
>
> Level one was a bit over $100,000, for level two something like $225,000 (this is the level they recommend going to) and level three another $100,000. You provide the content, they develop it into the product, you get 1,000 copies of the CD/DVD. I believe the group that does this gets to keep the IP on all of this, and you can always buy more of the CDs/DVDs for a price, don't remember if it was specified.
> I will attach the cost estimates.
> A few years ago they offered "endangered language" competition, and then must have had a grant and did it for much less.
> This is the first finished product I have heard of. They had five tribes or so they granted, not sure about this.
>
> In an effort to be transparent and disclose....
> We made a similar product Ojibwemodaa!  Through Transparent Languages (Claire you may know them, they are based in Nashua NH)
> We are independent, Grassroots Indigenous Multimedia, non-profit. As an indigenous non-profit, our version is done for much less than estimates I am sending. Of course, we do not have any marketing budget, so we are completely unknown!
> We are just starting to work for other tribes, starting with the Menominee -- and doing a bare bones run for just 2-3 minuet immersion movies in the software.  We'll have a good cost estimate when we finish something for them.
>
> Mii sa i'iw minik<RosetaStoneELP.pdf>

> Mary Hermes, PhD
> Associate Professor of Education
> Eni-gikendaasoyang:  Center for Indigenous Language and Culture Revitalization
> University of Minnesota Duluth
> 715-462-4230
>

> On Aug 25, 2010, at 4:15 PM, Phillip E Cash Cash wrote:
>
>> Interesting arrangement certainly.  Thnx Claire, Phil
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 1:58 PM, Claire Bowern <clairebowern at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Phil,
>> As I understand it, Rosetta is doing this for free as long as there is
>> a community commitment to providing the source materials (and they
>> need to demonstrate they can do so). Rosetta provides a certain amount
>> of recording and editing time, the prompts, and the software, and
>> funds the travel for the sound engineers to visit the community.
>> This is a total guess but I would guess that would run to $50,000
>> easily, probably more, since it would be billed at professional hourly
>> rates, not academic linguist rates.
>> Claire
>>
>> --
>>
>> -----
>> Claire Bowern
>> Associate Professor
>> Department of Linguistics
>> Yale University
>> 370 Temple St
>> New Haven, CT 06511
>> North American Dialects survey:
>> http://pantheon.yale.edu/~clb3/NorthAmericanDialects/

Keola Donaghy
Assistant Professor of Hawaiian Studies
Ka Haka 'Ula O Ke'elikolani             keola at leoki.uhh.hawaii.edu
University of Hawai'i at Hilo           http://www2.hawaii.edu/~donaghy/

"Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam."  (Irish Gaelic saying)
A country without its language is a country without its soul.