Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

MJ Hardman hardman at UFL.EDU
Mon Aug 30 16:08:24 UTC 2010

Indeed.  I finally gave up trying to tell people what Whorf/Sapir/Dorothy
Lee really said.  Those who will not hear ...
One really good source on this, though, is Suzette Haden Elgin, the
Linguistic Imperative.  She shows how the distortion happened, its political
purpose, and what was really said.  The Œstrong¹ was always a Œstraw man¹.
MJ