Does Your Language Shape How You Think?

Bernadette Santamaria bernisantamaria at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 30 16:26:13 UTC 2010

All on this topic:

To throw my "two cents" in and a viewpoint of fluency in three
languages--these questions, including does your first language influence
your thinking or the other way around, I believe, are questions that fluent
speakers of more than one language would be more able to make assessments
on.  Also, even if some Indigenous language speakers, mostly in the past
(now most of our elders are bilingual in our rez communities) did not speak
English (for example), they still had concepts and values such as morality
lessons, right and wrongness of actions, etc. that are probably embedded in
all cultures; therefore, saying that they didn't understand certain things
just because it was not in their languages is not very accurate.

The other thing is that I can distinguish in myself what language I'm coming
from when I think about certain things, but most things I make important
decisions on involve my first language more often than and includes even
modern topics such as how I'll give advice about higher education to my
grandchildren who are all raised on the rez. I think about in Apache first,
in other words, then tell them in English why I believe they should plan
their futures. Also, too numerous times to count, I often find that English
is not an adequate language in complex topics such as in attempting to
describe our ceremonies, meanings, symbolism, spirituality beliefs,
traditional values, etc.

The other thing about our Indigenous languages is that they far surpass
English in many areas, topics of discussion, and use in descriptions of
land, natural resources, etc. The Apache language is far richer than
English, in other words, and I can make that assertion because I speak both
fluently.

Another  curious thing I've observed is that many people who are monolingual
in English make numerous grammar mistakes, even though some are highly
educated or hold high public positions; why is it that some of us for whom
English is a second or third language can use English in a more standard or
"correct" version than some of those for whom it is their first and only
language?  What does that imply regarding these questions on Whorf's
theories?

Just some views on this topic of whether language shapes a person or the
other way around.

Bernadette A. SantaMaria