suggestions anyone?

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Tue Nov 23 19:52:24 UTC 2010

Thanks Navin
(as much as i'd like to BE Frederick Douglas,
regretfully i'm not, but then, i only signed off with my first name,Richard)

Unfortunately...the teachers don't really contribute to the native language
part
and its kinda left up to me....so i have to get creative.
My wife often helps...and maybe i can "plant her" among the kids to offer
the correct response if the kids get stuck.
heres an example:
 I was trying to convey * nenh,* i*yatonh Ske:shuh*   ("now,  i say: red
fox")   and
  *nenh,* *ndae'* *tsatonh *  ("now, you all say it")

which is closely parallel in meaning in both languages ( familiarity - a
good place to start!)

these are things that gestures can emulate, and in fact the teacher figured
it out first
and excited about her deciphering... started "explaining in english"  to the
3 year olds!
If instead she gave the  answer: "Ske:shuh"
when i asked "now, you say it!"  it might have been more helpful?

I feel little ones can easily understand the language when i combine it with
gestures,
and are NOT having to think in english ...necessarily to get there.
maybe i'm just feeling sorry for myself, having no tribal members
here who seem interested?

Richard Zane Smith
Wyandotte, Oklahoma

--