suggestions anyone?

Beth Brown brow0857 at UMN.EDU
Tue Nov 30 22:56:16 UTC 2010

Hi Richard,

I'm not sure that I have any advice to offer, but I wanted to wish you well
and commend you on your efforts. I was a Dakota language immersion preschool
teacher within the Minneapolis Public Schools for several years and my
experience was very similar to what you're describing. The classroom teacher
and prep teachers in our Dakota IMMERSION room would come in and use
English, despite our objections and justifications. We too did not have
regular meetings between language speakers and teachers, so communication
was stymied. Furthermore, our knowledge of language acquisition was
considered sub-par, since the majority of our speakers are not licensed
teachers. I still work at the school, but in a different capacity and I've
found allies in the school who DO value our knowledge as speakers and who DO
want our input. It seems like sometimes it's just about finding the right
people to stand behind us.

Do the teachers have to be in your classroom? We had to have licensed
teachers in the room because we were not licensed, but I'm not sure if
that's the case for you. Also, do the teachers know or are they learning
some of the language? Maybe someone had suggested it already, but doing a
TPR demonstration with the teachers in a language they DON'T know can be
pretty convincing! Or, sometimes it helps for them to see research data that
supports the effectiveness of immersion. That said, there are some who seem
as if they will never understand or don't want to, no matter what evidence
you present them with. I've worked with those people and it's very
challenging on many levels, but what brought me through was the support and
encouragement of other language activists, which is why I wanted to write to
you. The work you're doing -as a volunteer, no less!- seems very admirable
and I'm sure it's making a difference for those kids far beyond what you can
even see now.

Best wishes to you,

Beth Brown

Program Associate, Dakota Language