simple transfer from vhs to dvd - hope simple

Neskie Manuel neskiem at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 8 06:42:53 UTC 2010

FFMPEG is trivial to install on a Linux system like Ubuntu, and almost
trivial to install on a Mac I would suggest using Mac Ports.  I have
no idea about Windows.

On Mon, Sep 6, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Jessica Fae Nelson
<jfnelson at email.arizona.edu> wrote:
> I've used FFmpeg (freeware) to encode vob files, but it seems to like to
> have both audio and video for the "input" (although you only discover this
> when it won't export functional files).  You have to be pretty tech savvy to
> do the download too, honestly I can't remember the details anymore but here
> is the link:
>
> http://ffmpeg.org/download.html
>
> To rip the audio, I've had trouble with Audacity not wanting to export in
> mp3 format and have found it much easier to use Switch (there is a free
> version and a pay version,  I use the free version and have had no issues).
> It doesn't seem to mind if your files start out video + audio and end up as
> just audio and it spits them out pretty fast.  I haven't tried vob files
> with Switch but it would be worth it to see since Switch is a very easy
> download, easy to use, etc.

To export to mp3 using Audacity you'll have to follow these instructions.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq?s=install&item=lame-mp3

I think the newer versions of Audacity offer to download and install
LAME for you.  I would suggest using the beta version.  It's stable,
and it's nice to work with.