Free/ open source Indigenous language publications?

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 11:53:21 UTC 2010

Good Questions Haley,

I turn folks to JonTeyhner's site on "Teaching Indigenous Languages" (
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~jar/TIL.html) as a good overall resource for
revitalization activities.  For those wanting help with documentation, there
is the journal out of Hawaii online "Language Documentation and
Conservation" which also has some revitalization content. For those wanting
to know what is happening with technology in the context of indigenous
language teaching, I would recommend trying to find Candace Galla's recent
dissertation.

That is just off the top of my head...looking forward to what others
think...

Susan

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 7:47 PM, Haley De Korne <hal1403 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>   Hello ILAT, aanii kina wiiya,
>
> I have a question that I would be grateful for your input on:  As a student
> & young researcher in the area of Indigenous language education, I want to
> know where information that might be useful to educators and advocates can
> best be shared/ received.  I am thinking mainly of written forms, but not
> exclusively...  Any input is welcome!
>
> What kinds of resources a/o publications do you and your colleagues look at
> to learn about what's going on in the world of language reclamation, or to
> get ideas for Indigenous language teaching/ learning/ advocacy strategies?
>
> Are there open-source (free) journals or resources that are being used?
>
> I know of quite a few journals that are respected academically, but I'm
> wondering if they are useful a/o accessed by teachers and practitioners?
> (for example American Indian Quarterly, Bilingual Research Journal, Language
> and Education, Language Policy, etc.)
>
> Chii migwech, thank you for your input!
>
> Haley De Korne

*Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
**(Currently on leave to the National Science Foundation.
E-mail: spenfiel at nsf.gov
Phone at NSF: 703-292-4535)*

Department of English (Primary)
Faculty affiliate in Linguistics, Language, Reading and Culture,
Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT),
American Indian Language Development Institute (AILDI)
The Southwest Center
University of Arizona,
Tucson, Arizona 85721