abundant press...

Richard Zane Smith rzs at WILDBLUE.NET
Wed Apr 20 13:17:09 UTC 2011

seems to be the same with our Wendat/Wyandot people...Rolland,
During first contact with europeans in the 1500s and 1600s.
the british and the dutch, and the french were simply considered different
tribes
or bands from further away.

Later when european descendants united as "americans" 1700s
and in Ohio ,very different tribes united to fight back, perhaps
*race* issues began to supersede *tribal* / *nation* differences
and there became a need to group peoples by "color" to distinguish enemy
from non-enemies.

Wyandot then used a word that did literally mean "white people"  *tinyomaha*
which might be a rough literal translation of a british self description.
Interesting another word appears in a fun social dance song that is full of
clan teases.
there's a line sung meaning *"you prefer those with black chins!"*
which some of us feel referred to those of european ancestry .

ske:noh
Richard