Looking for web-hosting

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at GMAIL.COM
Mon Apr 25 12:56:25 UTC 2011

Good points Claire. It would seem if the directory that allows for a web
interface where maintained in the "spirit" of an archive (e.g. following
some form of community derived best practices with a commitment to
permanence) then web publication could have the permanence that archiving
strives for. Such an approach would be an alternative (or perhaps first step
to archiving) for communities not ready, willing, or able to place their
language resources in the hands of third parties, yet wanting to ensure some
sort of permanence for the resources. The ideal situation would be some
combination of both perhaps:  archiving and community web publication that
maintains each directory in terms of best practices with a commitment to
permanence. It seems that even though the two are different in some
regards--there is a good deal of overlap in terms of production,
maintenance, and use.

cheers,
Shannon