Bears

Rolland Nadjiwon mikinakn at SHAW.CA
Mon Sep 19 22:09:17 UTC 2011

Excellent suggestions Jimmy. The mind wanders to many possibilities. I kind
of like it special since 'turtle' is my clan.

-------
wahjen
rolland nadjiwon
You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it....

  _____

From: Indigenous Languages and Technology [mailto:ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU]
On Behalf Of Richard Zane Smith
Sent: September-19-11 5:30 PM
To: ILAT at LISTSERV.ARIZONA.EDU
Subject: Re: [ILAT] Bears

great to hear form you too Jimmy!
and a great example of indigenous thought communicated in story.
-richard-

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM, Huang,Chun <huangc20 at ufl.edu> wrote:

just to share a nicely done, and inexpensive, "animation" that helps share
traditional knowledge:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia2gvsL4tsQ

If you're also interested in the content, originally in Tagalog by Joey
Ayala, below is a rough "translation" (can't get all the spirits right, but
helps understanding), courtesy of Dr. Machel Malay:

in the song, the singer talks to the sea turtle, saying, 'sea turtle, the
old one, you carry your home around with you, don't you have anywhere to put
it, in the land you grew up in? With the slapping of the waves, and the
currents of centuries, you still continue to crawl in the mud. And yet in
the deep ocean you glimpse your freedom, bobbing and diving into the deeps.
O sea turtle the old one, could you please teach me the way to make the
heavy [load] lighter?'.... then he compares the sea turtle's situation to
his own, asking 'sea turtle the old one, could we actually be kin? For even
though I have a home, I have no place to put it. The land I once knew is
full of fences, made even stronger by land titles and documents. O sea
turtle the old one, I do not understand, the land I came from is now a
property'...

And I also do much-much appreciate the original thread where this one
branched out of. Good to hear from Richard, Dr. Hardman, and Uncle Rolland.

Jimmy

now at DLSU-Manila