Bears

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Sep 19 23:28:39 UTC 2011

Just saw the video link...nice "live" animated storytelling for sure. Thanks.

It reminds me of a "live" play storytelling I saw at the native
sponsored Great Basin Languages conf some years ago.  The play was
called "The Trial of Coyote."  It was produced by a cast of all fluent
speaking paiute elders.  It depicted a modernized version of a Coyote
story where Coyote was put on trial for "molesting" some young girls.
But as Coyote stories go, he was acquited due to traditional myth
legend plot and set free.  Anyway, the play storytelling occured all
in Paiute and was simultaneously captioned thru large story cards in
English.  The cast included Coyote the main character, the young
girls, a judge, an all Paiute elder jury, and an elder band consisting
of a tub player and a washboard player.  Whenever a line was spoken in
Paiute a caption cue card in English was raised up for the rapt
audience.  Pretty funny and quite dramatic.  When Coyote was acquited,
we the audience joined in with Coyote in a large circle dance to
celebrate.

So just to echo the idea of working with stories...traditional
narratives have a particular narrative structure/plot that are well
suited for animation.  That is, they have all the ingredients of great
plot making which are rich in content.  When my class of native
language teachers created storyboards for a media-based narrative or
story, they all found how easy it was to divide up the story into
coherent sequences.

Julian is right in that there are a wide range of digital tools
available to create animated stories, some quite effective yet
low-tech.  Many are easy to use in creating digital stories.  The
funnest part, I believe, is actually creating the digital stories.

Probably the newest form of media genre to emerge is called transmedia
storytelling. One, in which I wish to explore in particular, is a
software called:

Inanimate Alice
http://www.inanimatealice.com/

later,