Bears

Derron S. Borders Derron.Borders at UTAH.EDU
Tue Sep 20 00:02:28 UTC 2011

I rarely interact on this listserv but occasionally read things that come
through. I just wanted to share with you what we at the Center for American
Indian Languages at the University of Utah have done. I work on the Wick R.
Miller Collection Shoshoni Project under the direction of Dr. Marianna Di
Paolo. A fellow grad student a few years ago developed a program called
SYLAP (The Shoshoni-Goshute Youth Language Apprenticeship Program). The
program is funded by the Barrick Gold Corporation and gives Shoshoni and
Goshute high school youth the opportunity to come to the University of Utah
to work as interns on the project for six weeks as well as take a Shoshoni
language course. We just finished the third summer of SYLAP. The Wick R.
Miller collection contains recordings of the Shoshoni and Goshute language
from around the past 50 years. There are many recordings that are narratives
and tales from the Shoshoni and Goshute cultures.

The project has made two claymation videos. One of the videos, that I know
for sure, was made by the SYLAP high school interns. We have also developed
story books from the recorded narratives and children learning books during
the three years of SYLAP. We work closely with Shoshoni and Goshute speaking
elders to help translate and narrate the stories. The claymation videos were
narrated by elders as well. One of the videos uses the original Wick R.
Miller recordings and has several different elders telling the same story
throughout.

I wasn't involved in the making of these videos as I just joined the team
this past year.  If you would like to know more about making the animated
claymation videos or about how we are going about making the story books and
getting them published by the University of Utah Press, you can e-mail the
following people:

Dr. Marianna Di Paolo- dipaolo at hum.utah.edu
Katherine Matsumoto-Gray (developed SYLAP) - kmatsumotogray at gmail.com

You can also contact me directly and I'll pass your question on to the
appropriate people!

Thanks, I hope this wasn't too off topic but I couldn't find the original
post!

Derron Borders
M.A. Candidate
University of Utah