NT indigenous elder is Senior Australian (fwd link)

Claire Bowern clairebowern at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jan 25 22:08:09 UTC 2012

This is so well deserved! Baymarrwaŋa is the most wonderful person. She was
one of my main consultants for Yan-nhaŋu, she's one of the last people
who's fluent in the language. She doesn't speak English on principle,
though she can, since she speaks 8 other languages of the region, and if
White visitors can't be bothered to learn even an easy language like
Djambarrpuyŋu, she's not going to indulge that sort of linguistic laziness.
Needless to say we got on quite well!
So pleased to see some recognition for her hard work over so many years.
Claire