UAA works to preserve Alaska Native languages (fwd link)

Phillip E Cash Cash cashcash at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Mon Sep 24 15:20:21 UTC 2012

*UAA works to preserve Alaska Native languages*

By MIKE DUNHAM
Anchorage Daily News
Published: September 22nd, 2012 10:05 PM
Last Modified: September 23rd, 2012 12:45 AM

What benefit can society at large receive from expending energy and
resources on preserving endangered languages?

I had the chance to ask some experts that question before and after a panel
discussion titled "Revisioning Alaska Native Languages at UAA: A Public
Forum on SB 130" presented by the Alaska Native Oratory Society on Sept.
13. The program, in the University of Alaska Anchorage Arts Building, was
intended to address how said SB 130 -- the new Alaska Native Language
Preservation and Advisory Council Act -- might affect the university's
efforts to teach indigenous languages.

The UAA Alaska Native Studies Department, which sponsored the event, is
making what I consider heroic efforts in the often thankless quest to
sustain or revive Alaska's indigenous languages.

This year, for the first time, language courses will include Dena'ina, the
Athabaskan language that was once prevalent in the Anchorage area, taught
by Marilyn Balluta. In addition, there are art courses taught by Emily
Moore and a five-week Yup'ik drum-making course taught by Ossie Kairaiuak
that starts Friday.

Access full article below:
http://www.adn.com/2012/09/22/2635775/uaa-works-to-preserve-alaska-native.html#storylink=cpy