University of Alberta Master=?windows-1252?Q?=92s_?=Student Champions C ree Culture, Honored With Alumni Award (fwd link )

Susan Penfield susan.penfield at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 24 17:03:05 UTC 2012

I am so happy to see this award going to Dorothy Thunder -- I had the
pleasure of meeting her this summer as she is always active in the Canadian
Indigenous Language and Literacy Development Institute (CILLDI) and she is
so hard working and SO deserving!

S.

On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM, Phillip E Cash Cash <
cashcash at email.arizona.edu> wrote:

> *University of Alberta Master’s Student Champions Cree Culture, Honored
> With Alumni Award*
>
> By Bev Betkowski, University of Alberta September 24, 2012
> Canada
>
> For Dorothy Thunder, the Cree language and culture can’t be separated, and
> if one is lost, the other will surely follow.
>
> It was this thought that inspired a dedication to preserving and teaching
> Cree, from her days as a student in the University of Alberta’s Faculty of
> Native Studies, to her current work as a sessional instructor and master’s
> student on campus, to her latest accomplishment as a U of A alumni award
> winner.
>
> As a recipient of the 2012 Alumni Horizon Award, Thunder is being honoured
> for early career accomplishments in keeping her native tongue alive.
> Through her work, Thunder hopes to help Aboriginal communities gain a
> strong sense of identity—one that is defined not by policy, but by culture,
> and supported by language.
>
> Access full article below:
>
> http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/09/24/university-of-alberta-masters-student-champions-cree-culture-honored-with-alumni-award-135212#ixzz27OsKbLpf

*Susan D. Penfield, Ph.D.
*
Research Coordinator,
CERCLL,  Center for Educational Resources in Culture, Language and Literacy
CONFLUENCE, Center for Creative Inquiry
University of Arizona
Fax: (520) 626-3313
Websites: