Can Parent and Daughter co-exist?

Richard M. Alderson III alderson at netcom.com
Tue Sep 21 20:32:40 UTC 1999

On 18 Sep 1999, Steve Long once again wrote on the subject topic, concluding

>But more importantly why is there so much effort being expanded in trying to
>avoid the possibility that language might be said to coexist with its parent
>(as the word has been used a thousand times on this list)?

to which I can only say that I've expended my efforts, obviously in vain, in an
attempt to educate a non-linguist on the intricacies of a field in which I have
spent 30 years now.  Since Mr. Long is unwilling to entertain even for a moment
that his notion of how the world must work might be incorrect, I must confess
myself equally unwilling to debate the issue any longer.

								Rich Alderson