*sr- roots in PIE (2)

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Sun Nov 5 22:33:10 UTC 2000

Rick wrote:

>In the same section, Corominas also ascribes to "Basque-Aquitanian" or
>"Basque-Iberian" Catalan, Occitan estalviar "ahorrar, salvar [la vida, la
>dignidad] (to save up, to save [a life, dignity])"

>/st-/ doesn't look at all Basque to me

Basque <estari>, <estali> means "to hide, cover".  <Estalpe> is cover
or protection.  There are a number of native Basque words beginning
with esC- (or ezC-), so there is no reason to assume the word is not
Basque (even though the similarity with Indo-European words for
"stable" is noteworthy.

>On page 126
>He ascribes Spanish
>barruntar "to have a premonition"
>socarrar "to half-dress or half-roast meat" [Vela/zquez]; "to engage in
>knavery"
>mellar "to notch, hack"
>zurrar "to dress leather; chastize; whip" and a dozen or so other meanings
>to "Basque-Iberian"

I don't have the Castilian Corominas, and all of these words are
absent from Gomez de Silva's etymological dictionary (he seems
unwilling to include words with doubtful etymologies).

>[...]
>I'm curious about the occasional initial /s-/ > /s^, c^, x/ in various
>Ibero-Romance words
>e.g.
>Spanish jabo/n < sapo:n-
>Spanish chorizo, Port. chouric,o /s^owrisu/ < sauriculum
>The easy way out would be to lay all of this at the feet of Basque
>but what else can be said about this?

It is often said that this is due to (Moz)Arabic influence.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl