your mail

Lise Menn lmenn at psych.colorado.edu
Thu Apr 29 17:17:10 UTC 1999

I know of within-language blends for words that the child may have
considered to have the same referent: in Menn 1971 (Lingua  26:225-241)
there's a probable blend of 'snap' and 'button', and in Waterson somewhere
(try the collected papers, Waterson, Natalie. 1987. Prosodic Phonology:
The Theory and its Application to Language Acquisition and Speech
Processing. Newcastle upon Tyne: Grevatt and Grevatt.) there's a blend of
'hymn' and 'angel' referring to a hymn book with an angel pictured on the
cover.  Seems to me I've recently heard of other examples...
but the bilingual blends you describe certainly make sense in this
context. Looks like a nice phenomenon to try to capture by connectionist
modeling!
	Lise Menn