planning in stuttering children

Eduardo Blasco Ferrer eblasco at libero.it
Tue Apr 27 07:29:05 UTC 2004

Can anyone of you give me any recent research literature on stuttering children, and specially about planning? An unpublished dissertation cenntred on planning, led by myself with some collaborators, has given odd results: children under 10 with "shallow" impairment constructed regularly (scores 99.9%, p < 0.05)relative clauses (here is the girl WHO eats the apple, italian ecco la bambina che mangia la mela) when faced with naming pictures, where control group described simply the subject and the action (a girl eats an/the apple, una bambina mangia una/la mela). Can we infer that the regular inclusion of a relative is fostered by affective causes (i.e. hint at a second person, whom the sentence is addressed to, a parent)? Or is it dependent on planning difficulties? Thanks.

Prof.Dr. Eduardo Blasco Ferrer
Dipartimento di Psicologia
Psycholinguistics and Neurolinguistics
Univ. Cagliari (Italy)