Readings for Acquisition of the Lexicon class (FLA, SLA, bilingual)

Roberta Golinkoff roberta at UDel.Edu
Tue Feb 3 12:52:32 UTC 2004

Hi Lynn! There's a book from Oxford that captures the various
theoretical positions and some data:

Golinkoff, R. M., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Bloom, L., Smith, L., Woodward, A.,
Akhtar, N. Tomasello, M.,& Hollich, G.  (Eds.)  (2000).  Becoming a
word learner:  A debate on lexical acquisition.  New York, NY: Oxford
University Press.

And there's our SRCD Monograph that also reviews theory and explores
how kids break into lex. acqu. at the very beginning -- 12 months:

Hollich, G. J., Hirsh-Pasek, K., Golinkoff, R. M.  (Eds.)  (With
Hennon, E., Chung, H. L., Rocroi, C., Brand, R. J., & Brown, E.)
(2000).  Breaking the language barrier:  An emergentist coalition model
for the origins of word learning.  Monographs of the Society for
Research in Child Development, 65 (3, Serial No. 262).

And any papers you want, just ask!

All best, Roberta

On Tuesday, February 3, 2004, at 12:08 AM, Lynn Santelmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm in a position where I'm suddenly faced with teaching a seminar on
> the acquisition of the lexicon for spring quarter (starting the end of
> March), and I need to get a reading list/books ASAP. I'm hoping to
> cover first language, adult second language and bilingual issues. This
> is a senior seminar for students in a applied linguistics, so they've
> got a good grounding in basic issues, but aren't very sophisticated
> yet.
>
> Any recommendations for good readings for this level class would be
> greatly appreciated -- I'm looking for both classics and recent work.
> I'm fairly up on the FLA literature, but can always use suggestions.
> I'm less familiar with the others.
>
> Thanks very much for your help.
>
> Lynn

> *****
> Lynn Santelmann, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Applied Linguistics
> Portland State University
> P.O. Box 751
> Portland, OR 97207-0751
> Phone: 503-725-4140  Fax: 503-725-4139
> email: santelmannl at pdx.edu
> web: www.web.pdx.edu/~dbls
> ******

Roberta Michnick Golinkoff, Ph. D.
H. Rodney Sharp Professor
School of Education and Departments of Psychology and Linguistics
University of Delaware, Newark, DE 19716
Office: 302-831-1634; Fax: 302-831-4110
Web page: http://udel.edu/~roberta/
Please check out our doctoral program at
	http://www.udel.edu/educ/graduate/