AAVE and children

Holly Craig hkc at umich.edu
Thu Jan 8 17:32:39 UTC 2004

Pam-

Below is a list of publications from our lab:

-Holly

Holly K. Craig, Ph.D.
Director, University Center for the Development of Language and Literacy
Professor of Education
Research Professor, Institute for Human Adjustment
University of Michigan

1111 E. Catherine St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2054
734-764-8440

Craig, H. K., Thompson, C. A., Washington, J. A., & Potter, S. L. (in
press). Performances of elementary grade African American students on the
Gray Oral Reading Tests. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (in press). Grade-related changes in the
production of African American English. Journal of Speech, Language, and
Hearing Research.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (in press). Language variation and
literacy learning. In K. Appel, B. Ehren, E. Silliman, and C. A. Stone
(Eds.), Handbook of Language and Literacy Development and Disorders, New
York: Guilford Press.
Craig, H. K., Thompson, C. A., Washington, J. A., & Potter, S. L. (2003).
Phonological features of child African American English. Journal of Speech,
Language, and Hearing Research, 46, 623-635.
Craig, H. K., Connor, C. M., & Washington, J. A. (2003). Early positive
predictors of later reading comprehension for African American students: A
preliminary investigation. Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in
Schools, 34, 31-43.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (2002). Oral language expectations for
African American preschoolers and kindergartners. American Journal of
Speech- Language Pathology, 11, 59-70.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. K. (2002). Morphosyntactic forms of African
American English used by young children and their caregivers. Applied
Psycholinguistics, 23, 209-231.
Washington, J. A. (2001). Early literacy skills in African-American
children: Research considerations. Learning Disabilities Research and
Practice, 16, 213-221.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. K. (2001). Reading performance and dialectal
variation, In J. Harris, A. Kamhi & K. Pollock (Eds.), Literacy in African
American Communities (pp. 147-168). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (2000). An assessment battery for
identifying language impairments in African American children. Journal of
Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 43, 366-379.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. K. (1999). Performances of at-risk, African
American preschoolers on the Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test-III. Language,
Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 30, 75-82.
Washington, J. A. (1998). African American English research: A review and
future directions. African American Research Perspectives, 4(1), 1-6.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. K. (1998). Socioeconomic status and gender
influences on children's dialectal variations. Journal of Speech, Language,
and Hearing Research, 41, 618-626.
Craig, H. K., Washington, J. A., & Thompson-Porter, C. (1998). Average
c-unit lengths in the discourse of African American children from low
income, urban homes. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 41,
433-444.
Craig, H. K., Washington, J. A., & Thompson-Porter, C. (1998). Performances
of young African American children on two comprehension tasks. Journal of
Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 41, 445-457.
Washington, J. A., Craig, H. K., & Kushmaul, A. (1998). Variable use of
African American English across two language sampling contexts. Journal of
Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 41, 1115-1124.
Craig, H. K. (1996). The challenges of conducting language research with
African American children. In A. G. Kamhi, K. E. Pollock, and J. L. Harris
(Eds.), Communication Development and Disorders in African American
Children: Research, Assessment, and Intervention (pp. 1-18). Baltimore:
Brookes.
Washington, J. A. (1996). Issues in assessing language skills in African
American children. In A. G. Kamhi, K. E. Pollock, and J. L. Harris (Eds.),
Communication development and disorders in African American children:
Research, assessment, and intervention (pp. 35-54). Baltimore: Brookes.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (1995). African American English and
linguistic complexity in preschool discourse: A second look. Language,
Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 26, 87-93.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (1994). The complex syntax skills of
poor, urban, African American preschoolers at school entry. Language,
Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 25, 181-190.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. K. (1994). Dialectal forms during discourse
of urban, African American preschoolers living in poverty. Journal of
Speech and Hearing Research, 37, 816-823.
Craig, H. K., & Washington, J. A. (1993). Access behaviors of children with
Specific Language Impairment. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 36,
322-337.
Washington, J. A., & Craig, H. (1992). Articulation test performances of
low-income, African American preschoolers with communication impairments.
Language, Speech, and Hearing Services in Schools, 23, 203-207.
Washington, J. A. & Craig, H. K. (1992). Performances of low-income,
African American preschool and kindergarten children on the Peabody Picture
Vocabulary Test-Revised. Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools,
23, 329-333.