teacher language input

jzhou jzhou at public1.ptt.js.cn
Sat May 1 03:13:32 UTC 2004

            Dear All,

            Many thanks to Erika Hoff, Lynne Remson, Deborah Hwa-Froelich, Lixian Jin and Anne Purcell Kolatsis, for the information on teacher's language input in the classroom.  I put all together here for reference:

1. Huttenlocher, J., Vasilyeva, M., Cymerman, E., & Levine, S. (2002). ). Language input at home and at school: Relation to child syntax. Cognitive Psychology, 45, 337-374.

2. What kind of analysis is she trying to do? Is this a qualitative study? If so, I can suggest some procedures I used for discourse analysis.

3. Lilly Wong Fillmore has published extensively in this particular area and wrote a book on
What teachers need to know about Language. If you type in her name on the web-it will draw up many of her publications.

4. a software which can help to analyze qualitative data. It is called: WinMax for qualitative data analysis, by Scolari, its website is www.scolari.co.uk.

5. Focus on the language classroom: an introduction to classroom research for language teachers (1991). Dick Allwright and kathleen Bailey Cambridge: CUP

Thanks also go to info-childes for this wonderful network!

Zhou Jing

Zhou Jing, Ph.D
Professor
Faculty of Preschool & Special Education
East China Normal University
P. R. China