intervention for speech disorders

Caroline Bowen cbowen at ihug.com.au
Sun Jun 5 22:44:16 UTC 2005

Dear Annette,

I don't know of well designed comparative outcome studies of individual vs
group intervention for child speech disorders. Here are articles that
include information about the effects of phonological awareness training:

Gillon, G. (2000). The efficacy of phonological awareness intervention for
children with spoken language impairment. Language, Speech, and Hearing
Services in Schools, 31, 126-141.

Hesketh, A., Adams, C., Nightingale, C. & Hall, R. (2000). Phonological
awareness therapy and articulatory training for children with phonological
disorders: a comparative outcome study. International Journal of Language
and Communication Disorders 35, 337-354.

Major, E. M. & Bernhardt, B. (1998) Metaphonological skills of children with
phonological disorders before and after phonological and metaphonological
intervention. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders,
33, 4, 413-444.
Nathan, L., Stackhouse, J., Goulandris, N. & Snowling, M.J. (2004). Literacy
skills in Children with Speech Difficulties. Journal of Speech Language and
Hearing Research, 47, 377-391.

Rvachew, S., Nowak, M. & Cloutier, G. (2004). Effect of phonemic perception
training on the speech production and phonological awareness skills of
children with expressive phonological delay. American Journal of
Speech-Language Pathology, 13, 250-263.

Stackhouse, J., Wells, B., Pascoe, M., & Rees, R. (2002). From phonological
therapy to phonological awareness. Seminars in Speech and Language, 23, 1,
27-42.

You might receive helpful responses if you ask here:

Caroline
Caroline Bowen PhD
Speech Pathology Practice
9 Hillcrest Road