word learning tasks

McGregor, Karla K karla-mcgregor at uiowa.edu
Mon Nov 28 18:30:49 UTC 2005

Hi,

If you have a large enough set of novel words, you can keep the adults
away from ceiling. You might try a "quick incidental learning paradigm,"
the variant on fast mapping that Mabel Rice has used in the past in
which multiple new targets are embedded in a story script.

You might also try multiple dependent variables, the children with
cognitive impairments might demonstrate learning in recognition tasks
only or in production tasks when given multiple retrieval cues; the
children with normal development and the adults may learn well enough
for production without the need of scaffolding.

I'll be interested to see the other suggestions,

Karla K. McGregor, Ph.D.
Associate Professor

Speech Pathology and Audiology
University of Iowa