word learning tasks

Barbara Pearson bpearson at comdis.umass.edu
Mon Nov 28 20:17:14 UTC 2005

Dear Michael,

You might look at the DELV-NR (Seymour, Roeper, &
de Villiers, 2005).  There is a long section on Fast-mapping
in the Semantics domain (and we have even more items from
the pilot version, the Dialect Sensitive Language Test).
And Valerie Johnson has even more in her dissertation
(UMass, 2001, "Fast mapping verb meaning from  argument structure.")
There are fairly complex "complement" sentences
as well as easier intransitives.

When we tried it with children 4 to 12, it is one of the few
areas we didn't get a ceiling effect, although I don't know
how it would be for "intact adults."
There's a scaled score for the children 4 to 9, but of course
you can use it with older people.

Let us all hear what you come up with.

Cheers,
Barbara Pearson