two questions please

Nelson, Katherine KNelson at gc.cuny.edu
Thu Sep 14 14:15:31 UTC 2006

Annette, Your second question (in your more recent inquiry) is relevant to research from three areas - theory of mind, episodic and autobiographical memory, and source monitoring.  The short answer is that 5 year-olds should be capable of distinguishing self experience from reported accounts.  But 3- and 4-year-olds may have difficulties with that, and even adults do some of the time.  Here are some relevant references:

Ceci, S. J., & Bruck, M. (1993). Suggestibility of the child witness: A historical review and synthesis. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 403-439.

Nelson, K. (2001). Language and the Self: From the "Experiencing I" to the "Continuing Me". In C. Moore & K. Lemmon (Eds.), The self in time: Developmental Issues (pp. 15-34). Mahway NJ: Erlbaum.

Nelson, K. (2005). Emerging levels of consciousness in early human development. In H. S. Terrace & J. Metcalfe (Eds.), The Missing Link in Cognition: Origins of Self-Reflective Consciousness (pp. 116-141). New York: Oxford University Press.

Nelson, K. (2005). Language pathways to the community of minds. In J. W. Astington & J. Baird (Eds.), Why language matters to theory of mind. New York: Oxford University Press.

Nelson, K., & Fivush, R. (2004). The Emergence of Autobiographical Memory: A Social Cultural Developmental Theory. Psychological Review, 111, 486-511.

Perner, J. (2001). Episodic Memory: Essential distinctions and developmental implications. In C. Moore & K. Lemmon (Eds.), The self in time: Developmental Perspectives (pp. 181-202). Mahwah NJ: Erlbaum.

Roberts, K. P., & Blades, M. (Eds.). (2000). Children's Source Monitoring. Mahwah, NJ: ERlbaum Assoc.

Best,

Katherine