Question on bilingual language acquisition from non-native speaker

Marilyn Vihman mv509 at york.ac.uk
Wed Dec 10 12:43:36 UTC 2008

Dear Kristin,

I can't answer your 'should I' question, since a lot of factors enter
into the practical Q as to whether you will want to raise a child
bilingually. (Contrary to the previous email, bilingual learners don't
actually 'end up a lot smarter'; they do better on certain types of
tasks, usually involving attention control - as shown by many
Bialystok studies: see Bialystok's 2001 book, for example, or check
her website.)

What I can say is that as a non-native speaker of Estonian who learned
the language from her Estonian spouse, at a time when Estonia was
still an occupied country, we made the family decision to raise our
children speaking Estonian in the home (in N. California, so a
monolingual  English community) - it does take effort and perseverance
- and both our now adult children are completely at home in both
English and Estonian. So if your partner is a native speaker, it
definitely can be done. If both are non-native and the community is
using a different language - maybe your L1 - it will be a lot harder,
and I would judge the chances of success to be small (where success
means that the children by their teen years are fluent enough in both
languages to be able to make their own choice as to whether to
maintain both or not).

best wishes,

marilyn vihman