Novel Word Learning- Article Search

Jen Menjivar jen.menjivar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 07:01:56 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am designing a study in which we will be teaching children a set of novel
words in a foreign language, and subsequently testing them on their ability
to remember the objects they were paired with. I have been looking for
studies in which children (preschool aged- 3 and 4 year olds) have been
directly taught novel word and object pairs and tested in the same session.
In my search, I have found many studies in which children have been taught
the object-novel word pairs through naturalistic interactions (i.e,
Gershkoff-Stowe & Hahn, 2007), but have not had much luck finding any
studies in which the children are directly and explicitly taught novel
labels for objects. Would anyone be able to point me in the direction that
I'm looking for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

---
Jennifer Menjivar